Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 28, 2012

i get my kicks on route 66 day 1 rd trip to ca


Well the day before any trip is always long for preparations & such, well this trip was no different. I ended up going to bed between 3:15am & 3:30am and waking about 1.5-2 hrs later. I went to work an hr early so we could leave earlier. We were scheduled to leave at 12:30pm, at 12:45 I called to see where my family was & they hadn’t left home yet. HOME IS 1 HR FROM WHERE I WORK. I could’ve worked my regular shift. We started our trip at 2pm. I was expecting it to be a pretty boring leg of the trip, but it wasn’t. they say the longest part of a rd trip is getting out of TX. That was the case here. I really thought driving through west tx would be so boring & mind-numbing as Alex’s commercial would say. It was pretty had cute painted houses & buildings. Each small town had some cool looking shops. We had planned on stopping at Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo,TX,(an art project for a university in the 60’s or 70’s that stuck 10 cadillac cars up right in the ground, & then were painted. It since has become a graffiti park & you leave your mark  so the art is always changing.) but we also decided that the Big Texan steak house was a great photo op, so we turned around & stopped there as well. Those 2 photo stops took 2 hrs. we had only been driving 2.5 hrs at this point. We thought it was an 8 hr drive but we were forgetting the time changes, & it was really a 10 hr drive. I was slated for 4 hrs of driving. I pulled over just after entering into New Mexico. It was just a Love’s struck stop or so we thought. It had a free car museum, so we had to stop & look & take more pics. That 5 min stop to change drivers and get gas .  turned into an hr stop. It was well worth the time.
Our first hotel was in Holbrook, AZ. We had to drive through alberque, NM & Gallup, NM. I started driving again after driving again in Gallup & had a very scary driving rd. I had set cruise control at 75 not knowing that it was immediately gonna turn into a curvy steep area & had to drop from 75 to like 40 instantly. We were driving through canyons. I wasn’t even aware we were in canyons I thought what I was seeing was clouds, & then next thing I knew we were next door to the largest canyon ever. Then it settled back into a normal hwy. we finally arrived in Holbrook,AZ, & entered into pacific Time. Our clocks which was in mt  time said 1:15am, we went inside the motel & it said 12:15am but in TX time it was 2:15 am, so we were on the rdx just over 12 hrs. There was a slight problem with the reservation & took about 30 mins to resolve, then we had sleep finally.



No comments:

Post a Comment