Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 1, 2013

the ultimate rd trip 2013 the 1966 car story


                                                               The ultimate rd trip 2013

On a date night in Tulsa OK with Eric Tollison driving thru Drumright, OK an idea was born. This idea was to drive the complete Rt 66 the mother road in a 1966 vehicle for 6 days and 6 hrs starting on 06/06. At this time I just put the idea as a bucket list item to do some day. When I got my tax refund I decided this was the yr to make this happen. I started looking at 1966 cars on Ebay 03/15/2013 within the 1st week of looking I saw a car I wanted to bid on. I made my bid testing the waters to see if anybody was watching it, no other bids came. On the same day I did the same thing on another auction, they ended within a few hrs of each other, and I didn’t want to lose out. Auction 1 announced me as the high bidder, but not the winner. I asked the seller why I didn’t win, he said there was a reserve. We then went into discussions on a price that both of us would be happy with. While this was going on auction 2 announced me as the high bidder and the high winner. I liked the car in auction 1 better than auction 2 and went ahead and let the car from auction 2 go to the next highest bid.Both of these cars were 1966 mustangs. Ive always wanted a classic car and a mustang, so I thought I was getting 2 cool things in 1. The seller and I talked back and forth all the way thru 04/12/2013. The car started knocking so he took it the mechanic. They thought it was something minor, turned out to be major and they took the car apart and it was no longer driveable. Everyday thru this I was still on ebay looking at 1966 cars. We went to the DFW area to zipline on April 13 and looked at a seller of classic cars that was close by. I decided that car was a no go. Shortly after that I found what I thought would be the perfect car. A teal and crème colored 1966 Pontiac Grand Prix delux. It met my criteria for what I was looking for in a car, was within my budget and it was nice looking and in good shape with the paint and the looks.l I bid and won!

I was looking at the most cost effective means to get it home. The car was in South Carolina, I was in TX. On ebay it gave a shipping estimate of $500 to get it home based on the 2 locations, when I clicked on it to reserve it, the shipping jumped to a $1000 quote. I had spoke with the seller, he said it was driveable. The seller had a guy who he left responsible for making arrangements for the pickup or shipping of the car. I was in contact with him every day. I asked him if I could get to SC if I could just drive it home. He said yes. I made arrangements to do so.

That turned into its own little adventure full of mishaps. I decided to take a greyhound bus. There was snow in Amarillo, TX on the day that I was to board the bus in my hometown. This caused our 1st delay of 1 hr. I get on the bus at 4:30pm on Thursday afternoon. We had a stop in Ft worth, TX and Dallas, TX. At Dallas we changed drivers. The new driver was actually a very new driver. This was his 1st route and 1st night on the job. He didn’t know where any of his bus stations were, we got really lost in Shreveport, LA.  This put us 2 hrs behind. So from every stop we were 3 hrs behind. It didn’t affect us too much until we got to Atlanta, GA it caused us to miss the connection. I was originally supposed to arrive in SC around 8pm Friday night. I didn’t arrive until 11pm at night. I was gonna drive the 1966 Pontiac home on sat and Sun and be back at work Monday morning. The car and GOD had other plans. I got stranded in SC and made it home by bus on Tues late night. I missed 2 nights of work. The car is still in SC!!!

Everyone asks me why I wanted to go in a 1966 car or why I had to have a special car for the trip, to me driving in a 1966 made the trip more Americana, more nostalogic, more unique, more route 66. Anyone can drive in an everyday normal car, but not everyone can go in a classic car. To me the car is what made the trip. We are taking our route 66 trip in a 2012 chevy cruze eco. I had a friend tell me well look at it this way 6+6=12 so in a weird kinda way I do have a 66. I was trying to see if I could get a 66 with the yr the road was made 1926 and the yr of the car 2012 but that came out to 86. My everyday driver is a 2002 Pontiac Sunfire. The trip will still be fun, but that extra something will be missing. On this particular leg of the trip we’ve seen several 1966 cars just out & about,but I think there are several car shows going on this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment